By Garth Jones
While doing some testing, I wondered why my inventory was not being updated in the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (CM12) console. To keep this blog post relatively short, I’ll skip to the part where I finally located an error within the SMS Inventory Data Loader.
Message ID 2719:
Inventory Data Loader failed to process the file D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\auth\dataldr.box\Process\HDD6EP0U.MIF because it is larger than the defined maximum allowable size of 5000000.
Solution: Increase the maximum allowable size, which is defined in the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER\Max MIF Size (the default is 5 MB), and wait for Inventory Data Loader to retry the operation.
Aha! I knew exactly what happened. My hardware MIF was now bigger than 5 MB, so I would have to change the maximum MIF size.
This is an easy fix.
- On the CM12 Site Server, open regedit.exe.
- Drill down to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER.
- Find Max MIF Size and double click it.
- Change the value to 3200000 (Hex), which is 50 MB. By the way, the actual default value is 4c4b40 (hex) or 5000 kilobytes which is just under 5 MB.
- Close regedit.exe and clear out any errors/warnings for SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER.